Image Map

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Updates, a Big Boy , and Recipes

This week has been a busy one so today I am going to play catch up!

Monday night since the Dallas Cowboys were playing I decided to make snack food for dinner, and Josh and I could have our own football party. I have been watching the Cowboys my whole life so it was fun to watch them actually win! As for the snacks, I made pigs-in-a-blanket, homemade salsa and guacamole. Then I made some pumpkin bread to have for dessert. I love this salsa! I got the recipe from my friend Amanda. It tastes just like the salsa at Chili's restaurant.

Chili's Salsa
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) tomatoes and green chilies ( Rotel) (I only found 10oz cans and I used that)
1can (14 1/2 oz) whole tomatoes with juice
4 teaspoons of jalapeños ( I cut up I jalapeño)
1/4 cup yellow onion diced
1/2 - 3/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1) Place jalapeños and onions in food processor, process a few seconds
2) Add the rest of the ingredients, mix until well combined but not pureed
3) Place in covered container and chill


Tuesday Gus had his 6 month appointment (it was about 2 weeks late). He weighed 20 lbs 5 oz (90%) 26 1/2 in (75%) and his head was in 95%! He had to get 4 shots which wasn't fun but he did just fine. The doctor also gave us some advise on his eating and sleeping. We are going to start working toward him sleeping though the night without eating and on stretching him to eating every 4 hours.

We got lamps to go with our new bedspread. I put up pictures of it a few week ago. Here are the lamps: So, we redecorated our bedroom for less than $100!

We went to Dillards on Tuesday. I was so excited when I walked past one of the registers because they had one of my favorite things, the Southern Living 2011 Christmas cookbook!! I have bought it the last two years and it always has fun holiday recipes.

My wedding band was Josh's grandmother's. It was a tight fit when we got married. Since I got pregnant with Gus, I haven't been able to get it on. Tuesday I got it stretched so I can wear it now, I am so happy about that :)

Tuesday, two years ago, Josh asked me to be his wife. I had worked that day and he cooked me dinner when I got off work. After dinner we went on a walk like we usually did, and while we were walking he got down on one knee. He had been to my parent's that weekend to ask their permission. We were so happy. I have never regretted saying yes!!

Today I made Josh some soup for lunch and made some cornbread to go with it. I got this recipe from my Nanny Gay. She is one of my grandmother's best friends and is like a grandmother to me. This is sweet cornbread and is what I grew up eating. I tried some cornbread somewhere else once and was shocked, I thought all cornbread was sweet! Anyways, it is easy and delicious. I am already starting to think about making Thanksgiving dinner. Every year my mom would freeze leftover biscuits and cornbread to use for the dressing (stuffing). So, my leftovers today will be used on Thanksgiving. Here is the recipe:

Nanny Gay's Cornbread
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg

Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a square glass pan (9x9). I usually put the pan with the butter in it in the oven and it will melt while the oven heats up. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until it is starting to brown on the edges and top.
Secrets to making this cornbread- mix it quickly and make sure the oven is already hot. I usually put all the dry ingredient in the bowl and wait til the oven is hot, then mix in the egg and milk.

Gus is getting so close to crawling, I know it will be any day.

I just had to share this because it is cute :)

3 comments:

  1. His laugh is so sweet!! Do you have any issues with Samson and Bear taking his toys? Every now and then (especially when we first get home from being gone somewhere) Annie picks up as many toys as she can like she's helping! Haha! I'm going to have to make the salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! No they don't take his toys, but they keep taking their chewies on his mat and I know one day I will look over to find him chewing on the rawhide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robby has done it! Actually, he does it! Haha! He has taken them out of Annie's mouth before and then put it straight in his mouth! Now, they are only a special treat she gets once he goes to bed.

    ReplyDelete