I want Croque Monsieur.
I glared back, thinking it was some crazy recipe you can only make in a restaurant kitchen. (I should never glare at my husband, this glare was more of a joke than serious, just so you know. And, I love cooking for Josh, especially when he requests things. Just wanted to add that :)!)
Then Josh explained it was ham and cheese. He was the one who took 4 years of French, not me!
I looked up the recipe and decided to give it a try. Every once in a while I like a challenge in the kitchen! I did half the recipe for the sauce since I only made 3 sandwiches. The recipe was on the food network website: Croque Monsieur. Who needs a Le Madeleine when you can made this at home???
I would not say this recipe was easy, but I was able to do it and it will be even easier next time! The sauce took a very long time to thicken, probably because I used fat-free milk. I used Swiss cheese instead of Gruyere for two reasons. 1) There is no where close I can buy Gruyere. 2) Gruyere is VERY expensive!
The sandwiches tasted great!! This recipe will be added to my make again list for sure! Don't be afraid to try something new, you never know what you might be missing! I served a salad with this. I made a very simple dressing a lady at church shared with me.
Sweet Vinaigrette
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 T. white vinegar
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
Mix well.
You can keep some in the fridge as well.
This is so easy to make and easy to keep the ingredients on hand. It really can dress up a meal.
I also tried the White Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies from the Tasty Kitchen Blog. They were delicious!!
Gus turned 7 months old yesterday!! It always seems like he is not in a very good mood on his "month birthday", so I did not get any pictures. He is learning every day. He is getting much closer to sleeping through the night and actually has done it several times over the last few weeks. He is so much fun, and I love watching his personality develop.
This morning I made some pea baby food. I actually got a free bag of frozen peas a while back so that worked out great! I steamed them until they were soft.
Then pureed them and put them in jars.
I will let you know if he liked them!!
I LOVE the croque monsieur at La Madelline so I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe!
ReplyDelete