Image Map

Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving, Muffulettas, and Visitors






Thanksgiving is almost here!! I did some of my shopping for the big meal today. It is a great day when I go to the grocery story and butter is on sale!! This only happens around the holidays and I stock up. I freeze the butter and get it out as I need it. I admit I bought 4 boxes :)

Thanksgiving Day for me has 3 main parts: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Thanksgiving Dinner, and the Dallas Cowboy game. I have loved the parade since I was little, it really does mean Christmas is here when Santa comes down that parade!!! As I have said before, I really enjoy watching football and enjoy all the family sitting down to watch together. Next week I will talk about what we are going to eat.

Today I made Josh per his request a Muffuletta sandwich. This may sound easy- just a sandwich, but I made the bread for it! They don't sell anything close to the bread used, and the bread is actually very easy to make!

Muffuletta Bread

1 c. lukewarm water
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. bread flour or all-purpose flour
3 tsp. instant active dry yeast
Cornmeal
Olive oil
Sesame seeds (I usually don't use these)

Mix water, olive oil, sugar, salt, flour, and yeast in a mixer with dough hook. Beat until smooth. (can use bread machine, just use dough setting). When done, remove dough and turn out onto a lightly oiled surface. Form an oval, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 10 minutes.

Then turn dough over and press to flatten. Form into one-inch high circle and place on a baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. If using sesame seeds, press into surface and then brush top with olive oil. Cover with plastic again and allow to rise 30-50 minutes until doubled in size.


Bake in oven at 425 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 and bake 15 minutes or until loaf sounds hallow when tapped. Allow to cool before slicing. This makes a thick bread with a tough outside. Here is where I found the recipe.

As for the sandwich, HERE is the recipe we use. I often use different cheeses- such as Swiss. Here is a picture of my olive salad. I don't always measure things exactly...
Finished product!

My parents came last night, and then they left this morning for a short trip. They left their two dogs with us, BeBe and Doodle. BeBe is a Bichon Frise and 11 years old. We got BeBe when I was in high school, and he was my baby!! He loves to watch the world go by on a couch....

Doodle is a..... you guessed it- labradoodle and is a little over a year old. He is full of energy and loves to play in our backyard.

I couldn't resist taking a picture of Bear trying to get a bite of food from my mom. he was so cute sitting on this little ottoman.
I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend!!!!


Weekend Bloggy Reading

2 comments:

  1. I pinned this recipe! It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sandwich looks so good! I don't think I can bring myself to make homemade bread though, but who knows!

    ReplyDelete