Correction, it feels like that is all I am doing these days!
I was a pretty good kid growing up. A lot of the time my parents could just talk to me, and I would straighten up. And even when I ask them now, I wasn't a bad kid. Josh was a good kid too.
Before I had kids, there was one thing I wanted to be careful to not do- not be too hard on the oldest child. I'm an oldest child, and I'm not saying my parents did anything wrong. But it is so easy to come down really hard on your first child. I wanted to try to avoid that.
Enter my first born child- wow. This boy was hard-headed from the beginning. I had to begin lots of correction with him from an early age. I tried lots of different things, and he is still a handful. He is currently at the stage where he will push and push to the very limit. It's wearing this mommy out!
I feel many days like I am failing. I ask him not to do something or to stop doing something, and he just keeps on doing it. Some nights I just tell Josh I don't know what to do.
I believe with all my heart it is my job to train my child- and that includes discipline. The Bible is very clear on that. You only have to watch one episode of Super Nanny or any show like that to see what can happen if you do not have your child under control.
Gus is young- just 2 1/2 years old. Training a child takes years. It takes consistency. It takes work. It is something I cannot give up on. It is my job, it is my calling as a parent.
And at night when I am ready to cry and pull my hair out, I take a deep breath, go to bed, and prepare for another day- and hopefully one day it will sink in.
Yesterday I read a verse that really spoke to me, and it said "The Lord is slow to anger." I have been having such a hard time lately and am not always slow to anger. It is my prayer that I can be slow to anger in correcting my children. Maddie isn't far behind Gus, and it will be a learning process figuring out how to discipline her as well. I believe if you love your child, you will correct them. It is one of the most important things we can do. And it is not easy!
Here are a few things I think are important. Obviously I am not an expert by any means and have much to learn!
1. Tell your children you love them, even after you discipline them. They need to know it is done out of love.
2. Tell them why they are in trouble, and as they get older have them tell you why they are in trouble. If they understand why, then they can learn to not repeat it.
3. Talk to other moms going through the same things. Find a friend who has a child with a similar disposition and see what they have done. There are so many different personalities, it helps to have someone you can talk to who understand what you are going through.
And of course the best thing is to pray for your child and pray that you will know they best way to raise them.

Oh, Catie, what a great post! A lot of what Gus is doing is likely part of being 2 1/2 and I just bet that he's going to come through and be one of the finest young boys a Mom could ask for. Hang in there, you are doing a great job and the Lord is going to honor that for sure. Blessings my dear!
ReplyDeleteterrific points. really great. thanks for linking up!!
ReplyDelete