Over the last few years, I have been trying lots of different bread recipes, and my recipes were only turning out about half the time. It is so frustrating when you spend so much time making something, and then it doesn't rise in the oven or something else. It was also very frustrating for me because my mom is a master at making bread. How could I not be good at making bread when I spend years making it with my mom? Just a few weeks ago, I had a breakthrough while making bread. I wanted to share what I've learned with you so you won't have to struggle like I have and also so you won't be AFRAID to make bread! It isn't hard once you get the hang of it!
1. Activating the Yeast: This is the step that I kept messing up! Most recipes start with you mixing the yeast with warm water and wait until it starts bubbling. I was using water that was too hot! I decided this might be my problem so I researched a little. The water should be about 110 degrees. I didn't have a thermometer, so I read how the temperature would feel. It should feel like warm bath water. If you can't stick you finger in the water, it is too hot! This time I made bread it really bubbled a lot! It may not bubble this much, but it will look something like this:
2. Bread Rising: My kitchen is not a warm place unless it is the middle of the summer! I wanted the bread to be able to rise in a warm place, so I (you can laugh) turned on the heater in my bathroom and let the bread rise in there. It worked great! You don't have to do this if your kitchen is warm, but if it isn't this is an option for you.
3. Kneading: Don't get impatient with kneading the bread. Take your time. It will be worth it!
The bread I made in these pictures was THIS Kelsey Nixon recipe.
I hope this helps you bake some bread. Don't be afraid to try it! If you have some tips, please share them!
My most successful bread tip is to use the bread machine I bought at Goodwill for $10 the other week. Makes a decent loaf of bread.
ReplyDeleteI tried to make some Challah Egg Bread by hand last week, but it just didn't turn out well at all. I've never gotten my yeast to bubble like yours, so maybe my water is too hot, too. I'll give it another shot and try that.
Oh this makes me think of Aunt Pam's delicious homemade bread! You are right, she was the master of making bread! I know yours is delicious too though! I have never tried to make bread before, but it is something I would love to learn to make!
ReplyDeleteI have really been wanting to try to make bread and for some reason I am still afraid to give it a try.
ReplyDelete