Image Map

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Calling all Moms- I need some help!

This mommy is very tired! Maddie does not want to sleep at night! After she was born, she did better than Gus did. Gus was very colicky and would scream for an hour or two at night. Maddie would eat every 3 hours- so we were very excited about it! Yay sleep!

However, she is almost 6 months old and almost doing worse that she was at the beginning. On a good night, she will be fed between 10-11, then sleep until 2, then until around 5, then until we get up around 7:30 or 8. At around 5 when she wakes up I put her in bed with me so she doesn't wake up Gus who tends to get up early with any noise. But most nights lately aren't "good" ones. She ate last night at around 10, then she was up at 12:30. I fed her. She didn't go immediately back to sleep because she is rolling over all the time and gets frustrated. So I am making 3 trips back and forth to her room to turn her back over. Then she woke up at 1:30 or 2, I can't keep up with all the times because I'm like a zombie. Then she was up at 3. Then at 4:30, when I fed her and moved her to my bed. She then slept until 6:45 when Gus got up.

So, what have you done to get your babies to sleep through the night? For Gus, we gave him water for his middle of the night feeds and after about 3 nights he slept through the night. We tried this with Maddie a few weeks ago. She just screamed angry that we would give her water and continued to scream and was up like every hour until we gave in and fed her.

And if you are one of those people that has a baby that slept 11 hours by the time your baby was just a few months old, you are very lucky. This mommy is just very tired of not sleeping for more than 3 hours at a time for 6 months.

Leave comments! I need help!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Catie! One of our twins slept through the night right away and the other is STILL up multiple times a night. Thankfully he doesn't need to eat anymore...just takes a NUK and falls back to sleep right away. We got Blake away from nightly feedings by doing everything we could to get him to sleep without it...and only used feeding as a last resort. When he did need to be fed, we fed as little as possible...just enough to make him sleepy again and get him back to bed. It seemed to really help us...and he hasn't needed to be fed at night for a few months (the twins are 7 months now). Our pediatrician always says to do everything you can to keep them in their crib at all times during the night - give a NUK (will Maddie take a NUK?), rub their back or belly, flip them over, talk to them and tell them it's okay, sing to them, etc. I know how frustrating it can be...I'm one sleep deprived mama too! :) Hope some of this helps - keep us updated on your progress! It'll get better...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catie, I'm so sorry! I feel you. I am feeling so tired too!!! Kate has not been the night time sleeper Naomi was. Two nights ago, she started sleeping 7-6:30. We'll see if it continues. We just went to her 6 month appointment yesterday. I told the doctor she had slept the full night before, but generally does not. His recommendation was to check on her, make sure she is okay, and, if so, let her fuss until she goes back to sleep. We haven't had to do it yet. I think we might, eventually. It's harder now. The girls' rooms are right next to each other. So, I've just kept feeding her at night, because she'll go right back to sleep and I don't want her to wake Naomi. I do however, have a friend that went through this last summer, with her son, at 6 months old. She let him cry. It took three nights, then no more crying. He has slept 11-12 hours since.

    Also, in response to your comment on my last blog post . . . I got those tights Kate was wearing as a baby shower gift when I was pregnant with Naomi. I think they are from Baby Gap, but obviously from a while ago.

    Hoping you get some sleep soon!!!!

    Ande

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catie, So sorry you're going through that! No sleep is so hard. I hate to say it, but it sounds like it's time for CIO. At 6 months old, she's figured out that if she fights hard enough she will win and you will come "rescue" her. Hopefully it won't take too long for her to figure out that she needs to put herself back to sleep! It took Cale about 3 nights. It might mean that Gus has a few rough nights of trying to sleep through the crying, but I'm sure you'd take those few rough nights if it meant that Maddie figured out how to self soothe and sleep through the night! :) I'm praying for you! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CIO sucks.. Babies cry for a reason. Some babies just don't sleep through the night..

    ReplyDelete
  5. No sleep sucks but keep in mind that they usually go through a growth spurt around 6 months and want to feed more often overnight. Also they are going through developmental changes at that ages which can be a little scary to them and they want to know that you are still there and are going to come back if they need you. Just try and nap during the day if you can, and take it easy. You will get through it

    ReplyDelete