Image Map

Monday, August 13, 2012

Cleaning and Organizing

If you enjoy Pinterest as much as I do, you have probably seen all the pins about organizing and cleaning different areas of the house. I saw this pin a few weeks ago, and it inspired me to clean our pantry.


Amazing right???

This morning I planned to go to a nearby town to shop a little, but my Gus woke up with a slight fever. So I thought it best to stay in town. I got us ready and then drove down to Family Dollar. (I know.... if you know me well you know this doesn't happen often). I got just a few things to help me organize. This pin said they got all the supplies at the Dollar Store, but they only had a few things at our Family Dollar like these. I ran by Sonic on my way home, put Gus down for his nap, and started organizing.

 Here is what I started with: 



Please tell me that I'm not the only one with a scary pantry like this!!! I pulled everything out, threw away everything out of date. Then I started organizing. Sure, I think it would be fun to put everything in a separate bin, but that just wasn't practical for me and my pantry. My shelves are very short and not very deep. So I just got this basket, and some plastic bins to put a few things in. (basket- $6, set of 4 plastic bins not pictured- $6)

 I also had to tackle the bottom of the pantry- oh how I hate having a million plastic grocery bags. If I could just remember to take me cloth ones more often!


And here is the finished product- the tops shelves. I put all my sugar (brown and powdered) in a bin, and then I put all my cookie cutters and cupcake liners together in one. I already had the red plastic bin and that's where I keep potatoes and onions. I also put things that come in small packets, like instant oatmeal and microwave popcorn in a bin as well. 

And I cleaned up the floor! This bottom shelf is one of my favorite things now. I used the basket I bought to put chips, snacks and bread in. And I threw a bunch of the plastic bags away. And this is my poor little sick helper. 


I am glad I got this finished, and hopefully we can keep it this way.

I also cleaned out our fridge, which included take out the shelves and scrubbing them. I had this on my list to do last week and didn't do it. It's amazing how your fridge doesn't look stuffed when you have it cleaned out! Hopefully I can keep this clean too!

   

I hope this might give you some practical ideas for your pantry. I didn't get mine to look like a Pinterest picture, but it works for us!

Over the last few months, I have been trying to keep our home better organized and cleaner. I think this makes our life as a family easier. It makes me feel good when I have things straight, and I don't have to constantly walk by clutter. I still have a long way to go, but I am doing things one step at a time. What I did this morning I hope will relieve a little stress in our home. When I get things organized, it makes me happy! :)
bits of splendor monday

6 comments:

  1. I totally have that same pantry pinned! I, unfortunately don't have a pantry, I just have a cupboard. :( Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you are NOT the only one with a pantry like that - dont feel too bad. Ha! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catie, you are a girl after my own heart! I am an organizational freak! I agree, life just goes better when we are organized and not cluttered and scattered. Hats off to you for a job well done. It looks great and I bet you are going to enjoy going to your pantry now. Hope "little man" is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels good to go get something from your organized pantry! Stopping by from Bits Of Splendor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can keep it up too, I never can! Stopping by from bits of splendor. Hope your little man is feeling better too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pantry is HORRIFIC! I need to just commit to a day of getting it organized like you did. You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete