Image Map

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Catching up

I had a few things from last week that I did not get posted that I wanted to share. A wonderful older lady at our church came by last Thursday to hold Gus for a little while. She has such a kind gentle spirit I looked forward to spending some time with her. Thursday was a little bit crazy for me. Gus spit up on me twice, which I ended up having to change clothes. Then I was trying to fix Josh some lunch to take to him, and Gus would not stop crying. I finally got lunch made and drove to the pharmacy, where I stepped out of the car into gum. Do you have days like that??? I am sure you do :) I had been stressed and rushing around to get the house picked up on top of that. But, I had such a nice visit with this lady. Gus was really good and let her hold him for a long time. Then she stayed a few minutes after Gus went down for a nap and just talked to me. After she left, I was thinking how she really embodied the idea of the "older women teaching the younger women." I will never claim to know enough on how to be a good wife and mother, and I know that I need to listen to the Godly women in my life for help. One thing she said to me is that she thought there were really two meanings in Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." She said it is not only important to train them to be followers of Christ, but to help them find their place in this world. To find what job would be best for them, that they enjoy and that they are talented in. I thought this was great advise. I want Gus to have a career that he enjoys and that he excels in. I want to always keep this in mind as Gus is growing up. As I was preparing for company on Thursday and rushing around, I really wanted to just call and change our meeting to another day. But, I knew that I shouldn't and I am so glad she came. Sometimes it is hard to make the effort to get to know new people and change your schedule with a little one, but it is something that I think is important.

Gus has been learning to eat cereal. He is very funny, he makes a face like he doesn't like it at first, and then he smiles. He looks so grown up in his high chair, I can't believe how fast he is growing.


I know this is a struggle for all moms--- those last pregnancy pounds!!! Now I must confess I do not really like to exercise. I do sometimes enjoy going for walks. And I have gone to some aerobic classes that I enjoyed in the past. But on a daily basis, I just do not make it a priority. This morning I went for a very short walk with Gus. I know it wasn't as long as it should be for truly good exercise, but it was a start for me. I went at 9 as soon as Josh left for work. There was a little breeze and it was probably in the upper 70's so not too hot yet. I am going to try to do this at least a couple of times a week. We live in a really nice neighborhood and there actually are some hills so I know it burns a few more calories when I am pushing the stroller up those little hills. I drink coffee most mornings too and usually put real sugar in it. I am going to switch to sweet-n-low as a small effort to cut down on sugar. These aren't very big changes, but they are things I think I can actually do. When I got pregnant, I knew my body would probably never be the same. I also know it may be years before I can get back to where I want to be after having kids. My mom did really well after having kids, and I want to do the same. I have read many times it takes a year to get back to where you were before you were pregnant. That seems like such a long time! But, my family doesn't care if I lose those last pounds, they love me anyway :) Alright, that is enough rambling for now. I am making chicken salad for the first time for lunch. I will share how it turns out!

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading about your time with the lady from your church. I read or heard somewhere (I can't, for the life of me remember where) to pray that you would be aware of and recognize the talents and gifts God has given your children and that you would do all you can to foster those in them, so that they can fulfill the calling God has placed on their lives by using the things He has equipped them with. Make sense? It was much more eloquent when I first heard it. It really stuck with me and that is one thing I pray often for Naomi!

    ReplyDelete