On our way home Sunday, we stopped at Whole Foods in Santa Fe. It is fun for us to see all the different kinds of food available that we cannot get in the "country" :). We could not buy anything cold, but they had blueberries and strawberries on sale. I love to buy blueberries in season in bulk and freeze them. It is so nice to have them anytime to make muffins or pie.
In the past, I would wash the berries, then put them on a cookie sheet to dry. The best way to freeze them is on the cookie sheet so they don't stick together. Then you can put them in a baggie or whatever you prefer.

My freezer is not big enough for a cookie sheet so I just let them dry and then put them in baggies to freeze. Gus enjoyed playing on his mat while I washed all the fruit.

I wanted to make a dessert to have with the fruit so I made a pound cake. While I was cooking, Gus wore himself out playing.

Here is what it looked like when I put the cake, berries, and some cool whip together:

Someday I would like to start canning and things like that. Last summer Josh made some peach and blueberry jams that were delicious! Just prepping the fruit to freeze it took some time, but I know it will be wonderful to use during the winter.
That looks so good!! I haven't really baked except for a time or two since Robby was born. I'm hoping to jump back into it! I love Gus's play mat! What kind is it?
ReplyDelete