Image Map

Friday, June 3, 2011

Cooking Catastrophe..... Almost!

I write about cooking a lot. I really enjoy it and feel a sense of accomplishment when something turns out good. This week several of the things I have had problems with so I was a little discouraged. But last night, there were so many problems, it turned into a comedy. Here is how it went....

I was going to make an onion tart- the recipe was in Julia Child's book. Josh picked it out for me to try. It was similar to quiche, but had more onions and fewer eggs. Quiche is usually not very filling, so I thought I would make a dessert. Since I was already making a pie crust, I decided to make an apple tart. I looked at the onion tart recipe and in my head I decided I needed to start cooking at 5:30 to make sure it was done around 7 when Josh gets home.

At about 5 I started cooking the apple tart. I cut up the apples- or at least started. Then in my head I thought, these are going to turn brown when they sit while I make the crust. So, I stopped and made the pie crusts. I was watching the clock and getting a bit nervous. But I thought if I got it in the oven by 6 then it would have time to cook before I put the quiche in. So I finished the tart ( i changed the recipe a bit, and basically made an apple pie in a tart shape) and put it in the oven at about 5:45. I then had to feed Gus which took until 6. I then started cutting up the onions. (there were 7!!) I looked again at the recipe and it said the onions need to cook an hour- I panicked! So, I cut them up quickly, turned up the burner and hoped to have them finished by 6:45. I then rolled out the pie crust and put it in the pan. The onions were cooking well so I wasn't too worried. I then looked at the recipe again and realized I didn't have any Swiss cheese! So, I went to the frig. I had mozzarella and Parmesan so I decided to use those. I looked at the recipe again and it called for cream which I didn't have enough of! I had a little whipping cream from something else I had and then used half and half for the rest. The onions cooked enough and i started mixing it together. I mixed it together wrong of course and then poured it into the crust. I put it in the oven and realized I didn't put the cheese on the top. I added the cheese and it was in the oven at 6:45!! I then looked at the recipe one more time. The pie crust was supposed to be partially cooked before you put in the onions. At this point I was like- WHATEVER!!!! I was very frustrated with myself and just started cleaning up the disaster in the kitchen (which included having to sweep up the floor under me). I finished picking up, poured myself a glass of wine, and sat down to wait for Josh to get home....

The onion tart turned out delicious even with all my mistakes. The apple tart turned out good too. Gus sat in his chair in the kitchen with me from 6-7 and entertained himself. I was so thankful at that moment that he enjoys just sitting by himself, and I didn't have to deal with him on top of all my cooking problems.

Lesson learned: READ RECIPE MORE CAREFULLY BEFORE GROCERY STORE TRIP AND BEFORE COOKING!

Thought I would share to let you know- I make lots of mistakes in the kitchen too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment