Image Map

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Build 'Um Up: Remembering You - I am more than Mommy

This morning I amazingly have a few minutes to myself. Maddie got up at 5:30, and Gus not long after so I have been awake a while. I just read a few of my favorite bloggers who are doing a link-up and decided to join in. This won't be long because I don't have a lot of time.

After you have a child, you are forever known as a Mommy. My whole life changed. The way I looked at the world changed. Movies and things I could watch before I can no longer enjoy. My heart is more tender toward mothers and children. It just happens.

Most of the day I feel like mommy. There is someone yelling "Mommy" or crying or needing something. And there is the job of wife too which I try to never forget. And yes there are days when I rarely have a moment.

I would not trade this time in my life for ANYTHING! I dreamed of days like this when I was single and lonely. This time is hard, but I try not to complain very much. It is a season!

I read a lot these days about the importance of taking care of yourself. This can be taken too far I think sometimes. No matter what, I believe that you should always put others above yourself. When you marry, you are committing to serve your husband for the rest of your life. And it should be a privilege. When you have kids, it is a huge commitment and gift. Your husband and children will be a part of your entire life.

But yes, you do need to take care of yourself so you can best serve your family! I'm no expert, but this is what I do.

1. Rest: I get up all night with our 4 1/2 month old because my husband works and I stay home. But in the mornings when Gus wakes up early, Josh gets up with him and lets me get a little extra rest. I am not a morning person, and just a few extra minutes in bed helps me get through the day. Thank you Josh!

2. Dress: I get myself ready every day. My mom always got ready for the day even if we weren't going anywhere. I may not be dressed up, but I put on some makeup and wear something besides workout clothes. I think this puts me in a good mood, and it is nicer for my husband!

3. Sonic: Laugh all you want, but this makes my day better. For those of you not familiar with Sonic- it is a fast food drive-in. I go pretty much every day and get myself a Dr. Pepper. It gets me out of the house- some days it is the only place I go! Now when we drive by Sonic Gus says, "coke", "pepper", and "large." :) (because I say I'm going to get a coke because around here that means any soft drink!)

4. Away: A few weeks ago my mom was able to come stay with the kids while Josh and I got away for one night. I shed a few tears when we drove away. When we arrived at a place for lunch, I felt like something was missing. I got out of the car with just my purse. I didn't have to get anyone else out. Josh took me shopping too. It took me back to the days before kids. And I felt a little different. It was nice. It's important to take a break every once in a while.

5. Naptime: I always really enjoyed my time when Gus napped. And Maddie is just starting to nap some at the same time as Gus. During that time, I blog, read blogs, watch tv, text friends, or anything else I can't do easily while the kids are awake. It gives my brain a break.

I won't say this time is easy. It is hard. But it is just temporary. Someday my kids won't want to spend every second with me. And I'll miss them. My encouragement is to love these moments with your little kids. They don't last long. And they are priceless!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Being a mom is great but it is hard to make time for ourselves. You need it as an individual and for your marriage. You are also becoming a great role model to your daughter. BTW...nothing wrong with a little Sonic! I wish we had one here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping over from Blue Eyed Bride... Nothing wrong with Sonic! Happy Hour = Happy Momma! Nap time is when I always get the bulk of my stuff done whether it is reading, napping myself, blogging or sometimes just sitting and watching a show on tv that I want to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! You are so right! Being from and living in the south - I so understand the "coke" thing! Everything is a coke! LOL!! :)
    -priscilla
    www.gracefullyrefreshed.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on my blog! Nothing wrong with grabbing a Dr. Pepper to get you through the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally use my kids' nap/quiet times to enjoy a cold Coke. It gets me through the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am impressed. i totally don't get ready every day and you are so right - it does change your mood and husband would probably appreciate it. ;) thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, friend! Sonic always made my day better when I stayed home with Braylen. And getting dressed? It would always help keep my sanity in tact. Sometimes I would get dressed during her last nap of the day just before Allen came home. Even if that was the only thing I did that day, I felt accomplished :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great too! I have missed several of your blogs and am just catching up! Wish we were closer and could do more of this mommy life together. I read your blog and think how similar we are in many ways. It's always nice to at least read and hear from you on here!

    ReplyDelete